PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chart Handling
Thread: Chart Handling
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2012, 14:33
EN48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have developed an alternative to using full size charts ("Sectionals" in the U.S.). I use Jeppesen FliteStar software for flight planning, and this is capable of printing what are called "strip charts." These show the planned route and a bit on either side of the route, the actual geography shown depending on the scale selected for printing the chart. The strip charts show similar detail to the sectional chart and are printed in a size equivalent to Jepp approach charts, with as many sheets as needed to cover the entire route. I punch these with a 7 hole punch in the same way that Jepp approach charts are punched and attach them with rings to small knee board. The pages can then be turned as the acft progresses along the route. Sounds complicated but it usually takes no more than three minutes to accomplish. I do also carry a full size chart within reach, but have never needed to reference it in flight. This solution depends on having software that will print the strip charts - not sure what might be available for your area. If your route of flight changes substantially once underway, not so useful.