PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2003, 13:18
Aerobatic Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juswonnafly - it maybe ain't rocket science, but a lot of people seem to get it consistently wrong even when they've got a reasonable number of hours experience.

I haven't noticed Chuck trying to "put himself on a pedestal". He knows a lot more than most of us here, and has thought about it a lot more as well. I think most of us value his insights, even if he does have to repeat himself a few times.

From my limited experience, he's right about the uselessness of looking to the end of the runway during the flare. It might work after a bit if you always fly the same aircraft from the same runway, but if the runway slopes (or has a bump, or dip), or if you change from a nosewheel to tailwheel aircraft.... you're not going to land predictably and consistently.

Chuck's technique described on page 2 of this thread works well for me (unless I'm in a Piper Cub, in which case I'll often touchdown too early and bounce... :o ). The "20ft" point is when I'm about 3 seconds away from impacting the aiming point - this helps if there's a bit of a slope, and you need to start the flare when you height above the ground is more than 20ft.