PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Range SAR
Thread: Long Range SAR
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2012, 12:13
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think there has been a requirement in the past 12 months for a long range SAROP in the Atlantic, and i guess that until there is one, our politicians will keep their heads in the sand (or up their arses) over the issue.

dalek
Whilst I agree with you about traffic across the pond increasing, the hard fact is that it is a great deal safer than it probably ever used to be. I don't cite that as an excuse or a reason NOT to have a LRSAR capability, but those at the top undoubtedly will.

The C-130 guys are overstretched and whilst the concept is plausable, it is really a non-starter for long range SAROPS. The Hercules is a great aircraft, but it is not a SAR platform frankly, and it never will be and to further burden the truckie fleet with another 'add on' tasking should not even be considered. The FIs Herc's are however a different matter, and I'm sure they provide a first class, if limited SAR cover.

Unfortunately it won't be until there is some major disaster involving a cruise ship, or a bunch of yachts or something of that nature that requires urgent SAR assistance, that the case for answering the long range SAR asset problem will rear its head again. Until then, we are simply riding our luck! However............the day will arrive when.......................

Merry Christmas to all
Winco