PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ipa
Thread: Ipa
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2003, 11:58
AMEX

Cool BALPA/IPA

Over a year ago I was working for a Private company as the sole company pilot but when I was offered to join very large IT operator, my boss decided to act against me and played oen or two dirty tricks.
Not knowing what to do and after I had lost the opportunity to join this career airline (the offer was withdrawn), I turned to BALPA and their legal department.
Indeed on top of having managed to make me lose my new position, the company was now asking for a full refund of the outstanding bond.
Not a partial refund (pro-rata) but the entire amount and equivalent to about £7500.
BALPA took charge of the dossier and kept me informed of the proceedings by email as I had to get a job quickly, anywhere, which lead me to a remote part of the world.

Well since then, I have had not to pay a penny toward that bond (breach of contract from the employer) and nothing toward legal fees.
So if someone ask me what my 1% are for and what BALPA has evr done to me, I have something to talk about and can only be grateful they were here for me, a lowly GA pilot in a non unionised company.

Saying that, I had the pleasure to deal with Trevor Newton who used to run the LGW job centre for pilots and who is now working for the IPA. He certainly was an asset for those like me who were trying to break in the industry and I am sure he s able to be even more efficient within the IPA.

I can't compare BALPA and the IPA as I am a member of only one (I don't believe in split personality) but I can recognise the value of one and I don't think the IPA or anyone else could have done a better job in sorting my situation out.

Also I am with Lou Scannon on that one.
Whether it is the IPA or BALPA we are talking about, Unions are by definition, made of people getting their strenghts together to achieve a common goal. If the member don't take an active part (paying a membership is the beginning), then I can't see why the office staffs down in New Road, should.

In conclusion, whichever one we should chose to join remains an individual's choice but a balanced assessment and potential benefits should be looked at closely. We all have different views, opinions, background and life experiences so this should affect our choices too and I for one, will not try to convince anybody to join BALPA. I made my choice that's all.

Edited because I have just read Bus14's post and thought that I should add that I am still paying a rather small fee, so I take his comment about a Captain's wages on board.