PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Army Aviation Corps
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2012, 00:54
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glossy pieces of kit with great facades, but nothing of substance - or able to deliver an operational result - behind them.
This has also happened to the RAAF. Before you keep banging on about AAvn, remember we do not have an operational air force. Our Hornets (airshow combat group) do not deploy at all; our transport fleet no longer undertakes operational air drops, only milk runs, and the Wedgetails are ran so late they have missed any chance to value-add to the last decade of coalition operations.

The only segment of the RAAF that actually performs in it's role is 92 wing.

AAvn might not be delivering the way they should be, due mainly to the mismanagement of DMO and lack of operational exposure (though they see far more action than the RAAF) but handing over to the RAAF will not solve a thing. Stating that we do not need to be capable of expeditionary combined force operations shows a complete lack of understanding of modern warfare and operations in our region. ALL operations to Australia's north are expeditionary by their very nature. All deployable air elements. The RAAF will become more accountable for delivered capability as time goes by costs increase. If it fails to deliver, as in the UK, it will be cut.

The notion of handing over an Armed Recon helicopter to the Navy shows a complete lack of understanding of the capability and how it supports land warfare outcomes. I would go one step further and put appropriately trained infantry soldiers behind the gun.

I respect your extensive service and experience BR71; I also understand your attachment to the Huey and it's downstream development, but frankly I am surprised you would make suggestions such as those above.

Felix
You probably won't get anyone posting. These pages are watched and they have been told to stay away.

Regardless, this is only a forum and nothing said here will ever, ever have any impact on the future of the ADF rotary fleet.

Last edited by Trojan1981; 18th Dec 2012 at 01:04.