PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2012, 22:51
Danny42C

Fareastdriver ,

They weren't all "professional" Flying Officers, Fed. I had a good friend at Strubby, ex-Wop/Ag, who simply could not get through the exam "B". He'd tried for years without success, when he was finally "deemed" to have passed, his first act was to instruct his wife to go out and buy some steak, in place of the egg-and-chips on which the family had for so long had to subsist !......D.

aw ditor ,

Touché ! Of course, you're right (as I was never to raise my sights so high, I'd quite forgotten the "Q")........D.

Chugalug,

Many a true word spoken in jest ! On Stations which had Pig Farms, there was a sort of unwritten convention that the SATCO got that subsidiary job.

As one of the last representatives of that generation on which so much praise is now being heaped, I must repeat a point which I have several times made in my Posts. There was nothing special about us; we just happened to be on watch when all the Nazi (and Japanese) horrors were let loose; it was up to us to do something about it.

Human progress in every generation consists of twenty steps forward and nineteen back. It was simply our good fortune to be able to put that horror down at the crossroads with a stake through its heart. That was our twentieth step. We can die content......D.

Thank you all for your interest and contributions to our Virtual Crewroom. It is what keeps this best of Threads alive.

Danny.