PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 17th Dec 2012, 18:07
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by philip2412
Hello AZR,

pls allowe me one question,would the concorde have hit the strip if the spacer had been in place ?

Thank you
Hi philip2412,

As stated by DW, all other things being the same, yes I think it would have, based on all material available.

Originally Posted by Lyman
Let us begin with brake release. First off, a skidding tyre has less authority to affect direction. If skidding from the start, the left bogie is having less effect on direction than the right. That means the a/c will tend right, and may explain the Captain's initial left ruddering. (with four healthy engines))
If skidding from the start, tyres marks would be notably "unusual" from the start. Such a thing never was not reported... and certainly would have, if it was present.
And I strongly disagree with "That means the a/c will tend right": Indeed, if skidding from the start, the left side of the aircraft would have been more draggy than the right side. Not the opposite.

My guess is there was vibration as the vertical loads lessened, and not by much, until the bogie wobbled to its limit. In the crush of alarms, and confusion, the FE may have associated this extreme vibration with an immediate need to cage the engine that may be causing it. I merely suggest that pulling an engine at rotation is not done, so the conditions were likely extreme, and needed some action. I believe FE believed he was doing the right thing...
Wouldn't such an important vibration level be:
- recorded on the FDR;
- likely commented by the crew (on the CVR)?
AFAIK, no report of important vibrations on the CVR. Didn't check FDR traces, but I suggest it is to be done before pushing further your hypothesis, Lyman.
And I'm sure the FE believed he was doing the right thing, but that's not the point.

The spacer was NOT inconsequential.
You don't know that. We are discussing this right now, and so far no hard indication has been found of its consequentiality, but BEA report strongly suggests it had none (and explains why, and describes the tests done to arrive to that conclusion).

The aircraft was vulnerable to spontaneous tyre rupture for goodness sake. A fluke piece of metal?
Ahem, first, "not FOD related tyre ruptures" would be a notably more accurate description IMO.
Identified causes of such tyre ruptures were adressed, if my memory serves, in the Washington'79 report, or since then.