PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 17th Dec 2012, 16:47
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy Chris, CliveL

Quote:
A displacement in the horizontal plane is, on the other hand, abnormal. It requires predominance of horizontal loads over vertical loads, which is not the case during the takeoff phase.

My guess is there was vibration as the vertical loads lessened, and not by much, until the bogie wobbled to its limit. In the crush of alarms, and confusion, the FE may have associated this extreme vibration with an immediate need to cage the engine that may be causing it. I merely suggest that pulling an engine at rotation is not done, so the conditions were likely extreme, and needed some action. I believe FE believed he was doing the right thing...

The spacer was NOT inconsequential. It may have played a direct part in crashing the aircraft so quickly after take off. The cause of the disaster was fire. Dozens of opportunities for this result were on record. Blown out fuel tanks, disintegrating tyres, loss of wing skin and hydraulics. BTSC (all Concordes) were susceptible.

That the authority allowed the operator to get off claiming it was FOD is contemptible. The aircraft was vulnerable to spontaneous tyre rupture for goodness sake. A fluke piece of metal?

There will be FOD. Easier in the long run to hold operator to account in the long run, Than bend over backwards to protect the responsibles from owning up.

Does BEA address the shimmy? I do. I do not blame shimmy, nor Titane. I blame EASA for letting things slide. The stage is ever full of scapegoats, but lacks responsibility and integrity, all too often.