PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chart Handling
Thread: Chart Handling
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2012, 13:43
John R81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny, just had this discussion with my youngest, who is embarking on her training seems like she is at the same stage as you.

I find that with the map properly folded, a large bulldog clip holds the map into correct shape. The shape of the package, and the weight of the clip, make it easier to handle.

As Crab says, though, if you are constantly looking at the map for anything but a track crawl exercise (which is map reading, I suppose) are you sure you have your mind focussed on the right thing? When you don't need to actually look at the map, put it down or give it to your instructor to hold.

I know when I started navigation I was fixated on knowing exactly where I was on the map at all times. As a result my DR navigation was poor as I did not hold heading and speed accurately. When I got used to using DR techniques - way-point / set heading & speed, hold for [time] and then check for drift and alter heading / recalibrate arrival accordingly - I spent less time looking at the map amd more time flying the helicopter, so I became more accurate. I also found that I still knew where I was!

For things like places where a frequency change is required, I have them marked on the map but (as Crab says) take a note of features from the map then "eyes outside" and you will not miss the change over place.

Good luck, and enjoy!

EDIT [AB posted whilst I typed! Still, happy to find I agreed with an old ex..]

Last edited by John R81; 17th Dec 2012 at 13:45.