PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norfolk Island Ditching ATSB Report - ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2012, 00:38
Up-into-the-air

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
atsb and attitude to accidents

The dolan blog is here for those readers among us:

Blog - Investigating human error

and:

Blog - 'No-blame' investigations

The interesting note to this is the casa - atsb relationship being probed in the current senate inquiry.

At one point, on questioning from Senator Fawcett [25th October 2012]:

Senator FAWCETT: Going back in part to the issues Senator Xenophon was pursuing about the information that is passed on to CASA, given that the general aviation community to date has not been aware, broadly, of that level of disclosure of enough information that CASA knows the name of the pilot, now that they are aware of what is going on, do you anticipate that that may lead to a drop-off in the number of people who are reporting incidents?

Mr Dolan: We have certainly had that risk drawn to our attention as part of our consultation about potential new arrangements. We have paid serious attention to that, and in the light of those comments we are reviewing the proposal we put out for consultation. The existing reporting form makes it clear that information that is reported to us through the current system will be shared with CASA, so it is not operating in a vacuum. I think it is a fair comment that not everyone who is notifying us would be aware of all the details of how that information is shared. And, yes, there is a risk that that will lead over time to some reduction in the extent and the detail of the reporting we receive.

CHAIR: Mr Dolan, who made the decision not to recover the black box?

Mr Dolan: I did, Senator.
The following comment says it all:

Tony Taggart said...

If CASA gets its way and forces identification of people involved in all incidents and occurrences that are now reported in the happy knowledge that anonymity is assured, then let me tell you that, the reporting culture will evaporate faster than a jet burns fuel. That CASA action is the most dangerous in the history of aviation in this country.

DECEMBER 5, 2012 04:11

Last edited by Up-into-the-air; 17th Dec 2012 at 02:29. Reason: more stuff