PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qatar's Al Baker 'very disappointed' after latest 787 grounded by electrical issue
Old 16th Dec 2012, 08:19
chainsaw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
falcon10,

Where do these seemingly self-appointed pompous CEOs come from? Do they really lead the company through vast experience and educational achievements or are a just figure head that dictates orders to their western minions below them while they prance around on their yacht in Monte Carlo?

You may need to rethink your stereotype image of the airline CEO when it comes to Akbar Al-Baker I think.

I first came into contact with Akbar Al-Baker in 1996.

Love him or hate him, you have to give him credit for dragging Qatar Airways up out of the terrible mess that it was in when the previous idiot CEO got given his marching orders, to where it is today.

And I mean TERRIBLE MESS - Qatar Airways was a total basket case before Akbar took over. And 'yes' I'm aware of the seemingly bottomless pit of funds that's been available to him to do what he's done.

However, there are a few points for you to consider Falcon10:-

1. Akbar is not self-appointed - he was bought in by the ruling family to clean up the mess that the previous CEO created. You mightn't like the way that he's done it, but you have to give him full credit for positioning Qatar Airways to where it is today.

2. He's no fool - he is VERY smart, VERY well-educated, TOTALLY ruthless about where he wants to get to, and pity help you if you underestimate him OR his intelligence.

3. He is VERY hands-on (to the point where micro-management is probably one of his biggest failings) - DO NOT underestimate his knowledge of WHAT is happening, WHERE it is happening, WHEN it is happening, WHO is involved, and WHY it is happening to/in Qatar Airways.

4. He is TOTALLY quality-driven - DO NOT understimate that side of him.

5. If you get between Akbar and where he wants to be, you will DEFINITELY come off second best - I have seen him in action firsthand (and no, it didn't happen to me, thankfully).

6. If Akbar gets the slightest hint that your goals are not compatible with his goals then you are finished - you will NOT survive.

7. There is only one way to do thinks where Akbar is concerned - HIS WAY.

Am I a fan of Akbar's?

Not particularly. But I've worked in Qatar and have seen first-hand how this man works.

I have to give him full credit for what he's accomplished.

Last edited by chainsaw; 16th Dec 2012 at 08:39.