PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 16th Dec 2012, 06:29
ALAEA Fed Sec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to dismiss members from our union?
Yes it is. 5 life bans handed out in 2008 to managers who were carrying out questonable maintenance whilst we undertook pia.

Where does it say specifically "last in first off"? 55.7.4 service with the Company could be read as "well you have been around a long time so see you later"......
True it is not those words exactly (LOFO). It says that service with the company will be taken into account. The effect of the words is LOFO. It was what the framers of the words (Qantas and ALAEA, including myself) meant when they were included. It would be a nonsense to try and interperet them the other way around and would not stand in law. Sorta like a criminal who has his good behaviour taken into account, it may not say it but is always a positive thing.

LOFO will protect some useless ass LAME's; is there a way that ALAEA and the company can weed these types of pricks out?
Yes. I heard you were useless. You can go instead of one of my mates. Company are good at picking quality employees to. Just look at the managers.

This sort of stuff should be handled by a third party organisation chosen by both parties, one that doesn't know anyone,or has nothing to gain or lose by making the decisions.
Company would never agree on somebody completely fresh coming in. I'd also be concerned that they didn't know what they were doing.

There will never be any totally fair way to to shaft people, and I'm sad they are doing it. All because of incompetent management.
If they start tapping people there will be a group who say the process was unfair and another saying it was ok. This will not be easy.

Crisis phone hookup today between Nass and has managers. Apparently maintenance is building up fast and planes are not getting out. The more it builds, the less people they can make redundant. Your future is in your hands guys. Please report any bastard who is bending the rules to make it work on 500s and 2000s and get them to the alaea.