PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zero hours to RPT pilot within five years - How?
Old 15th Dec 2012, 21:10
Homesick-Angel

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did it, but I took each licence as it came, knowing that not everyone wants to do it for a job. Unfortunately for me, that was exactly what I wanted to do.

Started at about 30, and did not have anywhere near the resources you do and it took about 4 years to get through all training up to instructor due mainly to financial shortages. Could have done it all in two(while still having a life). Then only 18 months from there to a regional (I kinda got lucky with the hours I went in at) which I currently enjoy immensely and I'm not sure the majors are for me. I chose instructing because I wanted to stay with family in the city.

If you have the bug for it, then you're screwed. I'm sure it calls out to you, but be prepared for a challenging road and a major drop in income for quite a while.

With your background skills and quals you will be hired in a flash before many other candidates because a lot of flying organisations, particularly with your first jobs need everyone doing other roles as well. The nature of small business .

Research your training options and DON'T put money upfront unless you can get small reductions in cost for certain sections of your training. Definitely not the whole lot.

Good luck. For me it's been hard here and there, but the best ride and I love my job.

Last edited by Homesick-Angel; 16th Dec 2012 at 03:30.