PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2012, 18:48
Milo Minderbinder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"it's not relevant to the f-35"

don't talk tripe
Moore's law still applies, and is unlikely to fail anytime soon. Indeed, with rapidly changing data technology current microprocessors are likely to be superceded even more quickly
Consider the difference between a PC cpu now, and one from 20 years ago.
An 80386 running at 16MHz then, a multi-core I7 or similar running at 3GHz now. Future improvements are going to be at the same rate, and military grade chips won't develop any less slowly. Do you really think the current range of microprocessors are going to be available during the lifetime of this aircraft? Theres no chance
Its not like a 1950's technology aircraft where if you ran out of valves a skilled glass blower could knock up some more.........nowadays you need the correct silicon wafers, the correct machinery production lines and the correct clean rooms. All of that will be superceded in three years, let alone 20 years - or 30, or 40...........

Seems to me its coming to a point where it may be more sensible to regard military aircraft as throwaways, made to a lower life expectancy aqnd lower cost, chucking them away after three years, to be replaced with newer variants with newer integrated electronics. The airframe design may be frozen, but each iteration of the electronics would be the latest available. Don't retrofit, just replace. That would in itself increase the build numbers and reduce the unit price (OK I realise the total cost may well be similar)