PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2012, 16:40
SAROSKEETERMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharjah '65 - '66

Well done sisemen for starting off this thread! I came across it a few weeks ago and have been slowly reading thro' the posts(It's hard to find time when one is retired!!) to catch up with what's been said.
I was a 'carpenter & joiner' in the RAF but was always a bit of an a/c enthusiast, so I have lots of colour slides & info'(I know, I know, bit of an anorak!") of visiting a/c during my time there. Also, I managed to get 6 flights in the Twin-pins(great stories Brakedwell) to Al Khatt, Buraimi, Dibba, Abu Dhabi and one with our then C.O. Sqd/Ldr Tom Sheppard who wanted to recce for an expedition up towards Jebel Raudha. I see he is a well respected author on desert travel and all things 4 X 4. Whenever there was an interesting a/c due in, there was always a race between Tom Sheppard in his Landrover, my mate SAC Derek 'Ginge' Hine(a fireman) in the fire wagon and me on my old 'sit up and beg' Indian bicycle with 28" wheels and rusty everything.......and I still beat them on the odd occassion!
'captain salman' you have certainly brought this thread to life with all of your aviation archaeology 'discoveries,' well done. I revisited with my wife back in 2000 and shortly afterwards presented the museum with a copy of the station crest(painted by Mary Dent) which I commissioned for the RAF archive at Cranwell. Also I had a large map of the TOS which should still be on the "Commanders Office" wall(would be pleased to hear that they are both there?) Both of these were collected by (Capt.) David Mackenzie of the Ruler's Flight, Sharjah when the a/c visited Gatwick. I believe he was instrumental in getting quite a few exhibits for the museum.
Better not 'rabbit' on too much! Well done to all of you for such interesting posts. Took me back to a most enjoyable and interesting time in my life.