PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane of singer Jenni Rivera missing in Mexico
Old 15th Dec 2012, 13:05
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
screwball:

This is a great testimony to the current generation of Boeing aircraft of course. What great aircraft they build. I flew corporate, with an ex 3rd world flag carrier, senior 744 Captain. He was unable to perform an ILS, within limits, on raw information alone. He was also unable to safely carry out a visual circuit, using visual means olone. His flying technique was such, he would never have managed (near the ground) a first generation heavy jet built by Boeing. BTW I am qualified on the 707 and 747.
FWIW, my company (TWA) prohited raw data ILS approaches on all its jets, which included a whole lot of 707s, 747s, and 727s. If either the autopilot or flight director was not working the ILS could only be flown to LOC minimums. This restriction was there when I went to work in January, 1964 and remained throughout my carrier. In the later generation 767s and the L1011, it was unlikely to encounter this restriction. Much more likely on the 707 and 727. I can't speak to the early 747, because I never flew it.