PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2012, 08:17
CoffmanStarter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the pleasure and privilege of knowing Pete Stone briefly when we were both Air Cadets together. He was then the Senior Staff Cadet at 1AEF RAF Manston (the Boss then was S/L "Jonnie" Johnston) when he "assessed" my suitability to join the team ! I passed !

Even then he managed to persuade his then girl friend to wash and iron his uniform shirts for him as a cadet ! He'd also scrounged a complete Flying Clothing Card's worth of kit ... much of which was superior to that issued to the AEF pilots. Straight after gaining his Flying Scholarship I believe he did a trip across the North Sea in a single engined "puddle jumper" ... Yes ... he was most certainly a character and top bloke Very sad day when I learn't of his demise in a Harrier T Bird accident in Germany

His passion for a good night out probably started here with mates from 617 VGS and 1AEF...

In addition to the daring do's mentioned here ... legend has it that Pete took a Lightning super sonic, at below mast height, past a Rusian Trawler Earwigger down in the Med ... which, after the event, he regarded as a legitimate enemy intercept. Must have been interesting for them

Best...

Coff.

Last edited by CoffmanStarter; 16th Dec 2012 at 07:21.