PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MMMmmmiles Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2003, 22:38
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMMmmmiles better than Austers

Hello guys!

Bingo - the Mohawk G-AEKW was the only one of its type, designed by Miles to the exacting requirements of Charles Lindbergh. He wanted a high-speed machine with a long range (you should see the tankage and fuel system!) in order to 'prove' airline routes throughout Europe.

It had a huge range - 1400 miles! - and cruised at 170mph.

Power was an American engine, a Supercharged 200hp 6cyl. Menasco Buccaneer.

It was impressed into the military but ended up as a derelict hulk post-war. Rescued from a dump - I can find all the details if you want - it went to The States for restoration. However, it wasn't completed and was generously donated to the RAF Museum.

The work to restore the fuselage - the wings have yet to be done - was awarded to my good friends at SkySport - restorers of the Bulldog, Wallace and a number of fine restorations/ recreations.

THe American work - shhhh! - was not good and it all had to be stripped out and done again properly, using as much of the original wood as possible. Even the odd bit of old fuselage skin - the sort of thing that would have been 'skipped' by others - was scarfed into the new regardless of the additional time it took, just to keep as much of the original aircraft as possible.

ATB - I hadn't realised that Blossom was 'optically challenged by 50%' - I thought that she was winking at me from the pages, urging me to nip back time and sh@g her. You have now spoit it for me you rotter!

Damien B - Thanks for the congrats. RIAT - I offered the aircraft for the flying display - flown either by me or a proper pilot. However, they wanted it only in the static.

No matter - I shall have some fun - and so will whichever mate of mine draws the straw - flying the 2 aircraft in and out, glugging beer and scoffing some nice tucker - oh, and getting paid for it too!. Well, I suppose someone has to do it....!

Great to see your posts guys - keep them coming!

HP