PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where to do PPL training: big airport or small airfield?
Old 29th Jan 2003, 22:28
Dop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm currently training at Biggin Hill in Kent, and the charges are a bit steep. Particularly, when I was doing circuits, it cost a hell of a lot more per hour of circuits than per hour of doing something else - the charges for touch & goes being very expensive indeed.

Now, I could have gone somewhere else where these charges would have been considerably less, like Redhill.

Now while that's not your main criteria if expenses are similar, consider these.

My main criteria was that Biggin was considerably easier for me to get to. I don't drive, so go by public transport, and a walk, a tram and a bus gets me from my door to Biggin in just over an hour, and fares are covered by the monthly travelcard I buy for travelling to and from work. Had I gone to Redhill, it would have been a extra travelling expense on the train, and I'd have had to get a taxi to and from the airfield, so I might not have been any better off. Also it would have taken longer to get to, and I don't want to spend four hours travelling there and back for one hour's flying!

My other criteria was that Biggin is a hard strip, and Redhill is grass, which means quite often Biggin will be OK to fly from while Redhill will be closed due to soggy runways!

So I think it's worth considering all the alternatives. How easy is each airfield to get to, and how much will it be affected by weather? I don't know Fife, is it a tarmac runway or grass? Is it liable to be closed for most of the winter months due to wet weather? That's worth considering.

I suppose the other thing is if you learn at a larger airport you might be better off when it comes to dealing with ATC and other traffic in the future. Learning at Biggin, I've had to orbit on the downwind leg to allow jet traffic to come in, and I've had to do a four mile wake clearance downwind leg to avoid the turbulence from an F27. (That was only the second time I went solo. "That fokker made me go out four miles!" I said).
I would imagine if you learn at a smaller airfield it's harder to cope with more traffic? At least in the early part of your post PPL flying?