PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Army Aviation Corps
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 23:32
MTOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Except for a few (damn near empty*) empires that would disappear, and a higher initial cost (in all pilots competing 2FTS), I can't see a single argument against having every pilot in the ADF available to be posted anywhere within the whole ADF system.

The old RAAF system, where almost every pilot, within six years of graduating from FTS, was cross-trained in at least two separate branches of the system, allowed for enormous flexibility in times of crisis. As an outsider looking in, what we have now seems to be an unmitigated shambles. Is it true that AAVN pilots are averaging 5 hours a month, to say nothing of year long (and longer) waits for conversion courses? How in the world can you hope to maintain recency, let alone develop - and pass on - skills, with that little flying? I've heard of similar delays for conversions in RAAF units.

*to explain "damn near empty empires": the Army fought long and hard (and some would say dirty) to take over the rotary wing part of the ADF. What they've done - or, more to the point, HAVEN'T done - with it since gaining it beggars belief. All they have is a giant Potemkin village - glossy pieces of kit with great facades, but nothing of substance - or able to deliver an operational result - behind them.

I'm tempted to say they're up there with the current government in having grand and imposing plans, but no idea in how to implement them. I don't think I'm the only one who believes Australia made an enormous mistake in 'going European' for both a troop carrier and armed recce/gunship helicopters, but accept that, short of the government and DMO accepting another major and incredibly costly embarrassment a la the Seasprite backdown - (about as likely as Julia Gillard 'fessin' up to anything) - we're stuck with them for some years to come and will have to made do.

I'd love to believe those who are now assuring us that the problems with the Tiger and the MRH-90 are behind us, (how many years has it been now?), but again to use the Rudd/Gillard analogy, going on past performance, I just can't bring myself to believe anything they say, 'they' in this case being those telling us all is well and 'give us another 'n' years and we'll get it all right'. (Does that last line sound familiar?)