PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 19:17
TruthSeeker6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juliette Alpha

CX is a local airline. Although owned by Swire, it is registered and headquartered in Hong Kong as it has since it’s founding. It’s target market are people from Hong Kong, it’s hub is in HKG, even Air China has a nice stake in the airline, a stake which I would have no doubt would grow in the future. So with all this, if it’s not a “local airline” then where is it’s home???

Every country, including where I live, the US, has some sort of policy limiting foreigners from taking jobs that can be filled by locals. To be a pilot for a US carrier, one would have to be a US Citizen or registered alien. In Europe it seems even stricter but same protection for its residents. Asia is no different, just look at Air Asia or SIA’s cadet programs, they all require you to be a permanent resident of their country. CX seems to have allowed anyone through the door at one point which I am surprised as I can see CX getting burned down the line for allowing such policies.

Speaking good English, although important, I doubt is a barrier for many especially from the former English colony. Truth of the matter is, there are enough kids from a city of 7 million from HK who is able to pass and fill CX’s requirements for the cadet program, I wouldn’t even be surprised if I were to find out there are a few hundred CPL holder with HK ID in HK who could qualify for the AE.

Last edited by TruthSeeker6; 14th Dec 2012 at 19:20.