PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Females only!
Thread: Females only!
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 19:07
ChampChump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only experienced one mild bit of gender bias, many years ago, at a gliding club where the winch driver decided that females 'could just about hack a circuit'.

Since then, I've had no impression that I've been treated differently, given fewer or more advantages than a chap and as someone said earlier, the only significant fact is that one does tend to be remembered more, as one of the minority. Being a woman who owns an aeroplane that has a tailwheel means I'm apparently slightly more memorable than some other pilots, which is not necessarily a good thing.

All of this may be skewed by the fact that one meets the nicest people at airfields and strips. Rephrase that: ...airfields and airstrips.

There are more than the average number of female pilots hereabouts (Kent), but I doubt we'd reach consensus on why there aren't more overall. FWIW I think all those I know are working and childless.

If a non-flyer in conversation about flying (I'm no better than anyone else - obsessed) says to me 'Oh, aren't you lucky!' I agree, because I am, but do stress that for most of us, it's about making choices: how you spend your money and time.