PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2003, 20:06
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Feet Dry:

When turning I have my students look at the horizon, either natural outside the airplane (VFR ) or mechanical / electronic inside the airplane ( IFR )

I believe you and I have a problem with semantics, the flare is that point in the approach to a landing where the attitude is changed from the approach attitude to the level attitude to parrallel the runway, from that point we have passed the flare and are now in the holdoff portion of the landing proceedure.

My analogy of the steep approach used in Ag. flying to the flare to parrellel the ground is exactly the same manouver as the flare to land. ( only steeper and requiring a far more accurate and faster attitude change. )

When judging the point of flare we must be able to accurately judge closure rate with the target ( the point on the runway where you plan to flare ) proper judgement of closure rate at a constant attitude and speed will result in height judgement.

To be profficient in this exercise requires two factors.

(1) Proper instruction.

(2) Practice through repetative approaches and flare judgement of time, & distance to go before impact with the runway. Once burned into the memory receptors it will remain there forever.

The real problem we are having here is poor instructional techniques in ab initio training.

Otherwise I would not be here wearing out my key board for nothing.

Except the satisfaction of helping others because I care.

Cat Driver:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no.