PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwegian Malaga Roster and new bases
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 09:30
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dannyalliga/boeingisgoing (or are you one & the same ? you certainly sing the same hymn from the same hymn sheet & both of you possess an uncanny ability to divert threads in your chosen direction, whilst simultaneously failing to read/understand what others have written.)

I am no tax expert, but have been forced to take an interest in it due to my agency being forced by the airline to change our employment status. I would remind you that this thread is titled "Norwegian Malaga Roster and new bases" although this does not of course prevent us deviating toward related subjects. Anyhow, I shall try & take us vaguely back on track by discussing your pet subject (tax & social charges) with respect to "Norwegian Malaga" developments.

boeingisgoing
The list you posted of countries having a double tax agreement with Spain does NOT (as I stated) include Denmark. Danish colleagues assure me (and they would know I guess, as it is their money ! ) this unfortunately to be the case. Contrary to your slur I know for a fact that the great majority of Danish people do not mess around with taxation. This is pursued very vigorously there, and the penalties fairly severe.
The advice they have taken has made very clear that they are liable to Danish taxes, however, living as they do in Denmark, and probably spending less than 183 days a year in Spain, they are NOT liable to Spanish taxation, and will derive no benefit from anything thay pay into the Spanish system. Can you give me one viable reason why they should be forced to pay anything in Spain whilst being compliant in their own home country (much like A&C's situation in the UK, who Danny seems to have a bit of a fetish for lambasting, tiresome in the extreme Danny give it a rest )

If you are resident in Andorra (and that is not so cheap/easy. . . ) you may "avoid" - not "evade"- taxes perfectly legally by fulfilling several residency requirements. I am sure the EU politicians so beloved of you would never stoop to such depths . . . Oh no, wait a minute, as EC employees they are "tax-free" anyhow. .so no need then. If you have worked/been registered for taxes in Spain you must wait 5 years to benefit from this option,if you never paid taxes in Spain the alleviation is immediate.

You insist on labouring the point about Aviation Regiulator oversight of a Contract employee. I remind you that despite any secrecy on the part of agencies to allow sharing of contract details (most of which is naively directed to stop us comparing & swapping agencies. . .which in the day of internet is cloud-cuckoo -land stuff of course) has absolutely nothing to do with the airlines day to day operational control over us as employees. Although employed via offshore agencies, in all other respects (particularly operationally) we are used/treated like normal employees. . . . except. Our contract may (indeed often does) have less generous terms when it comes to Annual Leave/Days Off, however, these must comply with normal duty/rest time legislation. . . if they are not good enough, complain to EASA for making/proposing them, not to the agencies for selling us to the max to the airline. Even in a regime as Draconian as Ryanair, going sick certainly did not oblige one to find/nominate a replacement pilot. . .that is total horlicks ! and I don't really know where you dreamed that one up from. Of course if you are sick in Ryanair, you are paid nothing. . . a much bigger issue, but not the one we are discussing here.

danny,

one interesting point you make is that an "employer" in country A cannot pay social security for you into a system in country B without being registered as an employer in country B. This is something many of us are queryiing with our agencies (one of whom has seen enough of the implications to pull out of the contract. . the other 3 are moving forward without perhaps realising the implications for themselves)

The Irish paper you publish seems to support the Ryanair "system", in that, if the pilot ( & his employer I.E him ) pay social charges at "home base", taxes can be paid where the business (again HIM) is domiciled. . strangely enough in the case of Ryanair contractors Ireland.

Regretably (perhaps) Danny, what you have posted in your last paragraph is easily possible & totally legal. It is entirely possible to work in Spain whilst paying taxes & social charges elsewhere. The labour laws that must be respected are those of the country of your "employer" - not Spain up to now. . . may be in the future, & of course the laws relating to the AOC holders base country. This is primarily demanded , if you remember , by the AIRLINES , not the PILOTS, so I think it is to them you should direct your ire & frustration, not those of us forced to exist in this quasi-compliant sphere.

A tangled web indeed, but please stop shooting the messengers. Contrary to what you 2 (?) gentlemen think , the great majority are not seeking to evade tax, but are quite justifiably seeking to pay it where they stand to have something in return ,& NOT just stump up in Spain primarily to make an airline (that you are leased to by an offshore contract agency) look whiter than white.

Justifiably , we want some value for our money. . . anything wrong in that ?

Last edited by captplaystation; 14th Dec 2012 at 09:32.