PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft approach category question
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 09:15
9.G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fullblast, it's Vref sorry I just used airbus term. Vapp is Vref+approach correction. However that's not the point. The point here is how to use this classification on a daily basis. Let's take an example of a A 321 with higher gross weight fitting into CAT D for a straight in. We fly IAP as per PANS OPS 4. Now, what minima will be applicable for circling? Is it CAT D or C? Surely with flaps 3 and gear down the IAS during circling won't be higher than 180 Kts will it? IN this case for a straight in I must use CAT D minima and for a circling I can elect to use CAT C. On the the other hand A 330-CAT C with flaps/slats stuck at 0. Which minima is applicable for a straight in and for a circling? Is it CAT C or D? IAS flown in this case is 182Kts. I've seen some guys using CAT C for a straight-in others used D. Which one is correct that's the question? It's definitely D for circling though. Funny enough if you look at the approach plate straight-in landing minima has only reference to the aircraft category whereas circle to land to the max Kts. IAS.

BOAC, glad you got figured that one out.

Last edited by 9.G; 14th Dec 2012 at 09:17.