PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News of NEO
Thread: News of NEO
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2012, 06:14
Nigerian Expat Outlaw

Nigerian In Law

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Nearly There - Hopefully

Last week I had the 7th of 8 chemo treatments. The normal schedule for my type of cancer is 6, but because of the gap caused by the bowel operation they decided it would be better to "over treat" than not do enough. I can take the chemo and its' well known side effects, it's the steroids they make you take for days afterwards (to bolster the immune system) that knock me sideways.

The last cycle is schedule for 28th December then a full body scan to see if if the scourge has been eradicated. Assuming (as I must) that Ill be clear, I then get an intensive programme of dietary input and physiotherapy to build me back up, although I am managing to eat even though this has made me unable to digest fibre as well as Lactose intolerant. Hopefully they will pass once the chemo stops and the bowel gradually returns to something approaching normal size.

To anyone diagnosed with any variant of this cruel condition I have one vital message; never give up, no matter how painful, nauseous or long it may be. Some are "lucky" and have 6 cycles as outpatients then go straight back to a relatively normal life, some are less fortunate. But I'm convinced that there is a psychological aspect to the whole issue of serious conditions such as this, and that maintaining a positive mental approach can make a significant difference.

Once again, the loyalty, support, true friendship and contact from colleagues and my bosses has also made a huge difference. Statistically one in three people either have, have had or know someone with cancer. Support is a huge bolster. I am unsure how I would have fared this far had I been compelled to face this alone. Food for thought.

I'll report again when the last chemo has "worn off" and the scan results are out.

All the best,

NEO