PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gregg, Dixon, Carnegie, Singo make a play on QF
Old 14th Dec 2012, 03:14
Livs Hairdresser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Sunfish,
Yep, that's a real possibility. I just don't understand why if that was their intent, Singo would be blabbing to the media about it at the same time that the consortium is trying to get support from the unions. He's a smarter man than that. Also, if the cash was their main objective, wouldn't it be fairly easy for the current QF management to counter that threat? Hostile takeovers take time and if it ever looked as though it had the remotest chance of succeeding the current management could take that $3B and, say, retire some debt with it. Problem solved.

But let's say I'm wrong. That's why I suggested we need to get a legally binding agreement with them. They won't agree to invest the $3B in mainline, walk away. They won't agree to keep Qantas onshore, walk away. At the moment, they probably need us more than we need them, which is probably the only reason they want to talk to us.

At the very least, entering discussions with them will not be a good look for QF management and will further draw media attention to their incompetence.

and then it will collapse under its own weight of accounting trickery and fraud.
How would that be any different to now?

The fact that apparently rational people will consider this group to be viable in the long term as an alternative validates the Stockholm Syndrome.
Dunno about Stockholm Syndrome but I would say that we are getting desperate. Unfortunately it looks like this consortium is realistically the only other option at the moment, and the company is rapidly approaching PNR. Dixon might kill Qantas, but Joyce definitely will kill Qantas.