PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2012, 20:08
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Now that post is a prime example of the USP of this thread, Danny. I vaguely remember your mention of a variation of the old SD jacket by the replacement of the bottom button with a flat one (under the buckle) but had no idea that there was another variation bearing a Royal Seal of Approval. What a wondrous creation it was too, double vented, no lower pockets (where are the sarnies supposed to go then?) and golden wings! Surely it was worth fighting for on that latter basis alone? We of the two winged master race had a unique opportunity to literally blind others with our presence and let it go? Unbelievable! On the whole though it was probably for the best. The No1 SD became interchangeable with the Battle Dress (made out of the same barathea), giving one a spare working uniform if anything untoward happened to either, and the Mess Dress was certainly an improvement on your "Royal" SD, especially the white sharkskin Tropical variant.
I'm sorry that your investment was a "write off". No doubt if you were still in India (or better still the Far East) a local tailor could have done a cut and shut job for you and thus salvaged it. Just as well though that the King didn't add to your woes and have you swap the SD cap for the rather quaint titfer that he wore at his wedding. I see that the RAF bands have finally ditched the Busby now for the SD cap.

Last edited by Chugalug2; 13th Dec 2012 at 20:14.