PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Zu Bell 205 Flying Pax
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2003, 17:19
francois marais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skaz, you are welcome to your flip in the Huey anytime. I also don't bear any grudges. You responded to a story that was posted by an individual who was out to slate the machineand its people, due to the competition it created in the helicopter market in Cape Town. As you have noticed, Rotorhead slated the machine and the people involved with it, but never referred to all the other ZU machines operating in SA. He has gone rather silent. (I dont believe he's away, as I saw him on the helipad on Saturday)

When we acquired this heli, the intention was to put it to good use, as we identified a place for it in the market. Our company has often lead where others have followed. When we rented office space on the Waterfront quay side and got golf carts to shuttle pax up to the helipad, all the other operators followed. When we saw a gap in the heli warbird market, specially a 15 seater, and started using it, the rest of the operators went yellow, green, and whatever. I don't care what Rotorhead says, he's jealous of the success of the Huey. (At this time, he has also not yet responded as to why he particularly singled out this ZU machine, whilst there are so many others.)

We are all adults, responsible people, and are definately very safety conscious. At no time did we have the intention to operate a piece of scrap, thereby jeopardizing our own safety. The machine has been professionally restored, is in good working order, and is maintained by professional people on a registered maintenance program. Surely, the pro's that have been involved with this project since its inception, would not jeopardize their own safety or reputation by getting involved with a machine that is not airworthy, nor safe or conforms to the regulatory safety requirements. The machine has flown more than 75 hours to date, incident free, and just for the record, its a great hit in Cape Town. We keep a visitors & members book, and we yet have to see a negative comment or remark. Every one is happy, and so are we. The only negativity we have encountered to date, has been created by our opposition. Why? Because we are doing something successfully that they have never thought of, and now that it is a success, and they have no part in it, now its wrong, unsafe, idiots flying the machine, unairworthy, no flotation gear, an accident waiting to happen and all things negative they have said on radio, told to the press etc, all because of the severe dose of green fever.

I'm sure that you as a professional aviator, would clearly understand the opposition's train of thought? I just find it amazing, that none of the opposition guys have ever come along to chat with us, or to congratulate us, or to wish us well in our endeavours or to run us down to our faces. I most certainly don't have a problem with positive critisicm, but these guys have never had the courage to critisize us directly. Its always been done through either third parties or foreign mediums. We don't bother them, we don't interfere with anyone or their business for that matter, nor do we continuously report them on the wrongs they get up to. We mind our own business and just get on with it. So thats the way it is.

Pop in when you're next around, and you can see for yourself what we do and how we do it. You're seat is reserved!!!