PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 13th Dec 2012, 10:27
Tritzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The medical is done in doha as well. After your joining process.
I know a couple of guys who failed the simulator as NTSO (although flying A320 raw data patterns with a malifunction that day wasnt that difficult if you prepare for it and just plan ahead a bit). But they can see how you handle the situation and evaluate well.

I guess the simulator is - as like many companies - a chance for the training captains to get to know you and to see your work performance. They know you are probably not rated on the specific type. (Sim-ranges are from 320, 330, 777 to 787 in the assessment)

In my opinion group exercises dont tell more than a good sim evaluation.
A simulator assessment can put you in any kind of situation and see how you deal with it. Workload management, stress, flying skills, practical system knowledge, CRM, decision making - all of that can be checked much better on a simulator screening.

The group assessments or psychological interviews are rather a platform for psychologists to judge you, but most of the time, the psychologists themselves have issues.
And most of them dont even fly. So they are judging you upon theory, mixed with fictive situations.

Its one thing if some training captain dont wants you in a company, as he doesnt wanna fly next to you. I could totally understand that if the critique is constructive.

But if a psychologist told you whether youre good or bad (most probably you have just previously proven him wrong in the simulator) - in my opinion its just some kind of new fashion.

They had great pilots in the last decades and most of them wouldn't pass a serious psychology test at the time being, if the company is not hiring much.

It is only another stage for a company to adapt the flow of applicants to their requirements. I can understand computertests that check some of your -trainable- hardskills, like memory, selective/and focussed attention, reaction, psychomotorics etc.

@SAS: Most probably this job offer is for Qatar Airways, hence the given emailaddress involves CTC Aviation, which is QRs new low hour pilot source it seems. (Careful RUMOUR: 20 cadets joined in April?? or so and had overgone the regular recruitment process just like the spanair guys and just like soon the tunesian ones) It seems Qatar has no requirement on the pool people anymore. Everything has to go fast.

Last edited by Tritzo; 13th Dec 2012 at 10:34.