PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2003, 15:36
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
feet dry:

It is important that all pilots understand the safest method of judging the flare height.

So once again I must go back to your description.

Quote:

" as the aim point is approached transfer the focus to the end of the runway using your perepheral vision to guage the rate of descent in the final stages"

Here is what I suggest you do.

The most demanding flying for accurate height judgement in the flare is crop dusting ( agricultural flying ) there are some chemicals that must be applied almost touching the crop, such as fungacides.

Find your instructor to fly as a safety pilot and then make your approach to the runway at a height of one hundred feet above the start of the runway.

At that point you lower the nose to at least a thirty degree angle to reach the flare point in the shortest space possible.

The flare must be smooth and accurate to arrive at two feet above the runway in the level attitude.

Note:

You must hold thirty degrees nose down until you start the flare.

If you do try this you must judge the flare height as described in your previous post....... you must raise your focus to the end of the runway before you start the flare.

Show this to your instructor and if He /She feels this to be to dangerous, then find an ag. pilot to fly with you to prevent you from flying into the runway.

Be extreemly careful and do this by degrees, start off with a very shallow dive to the runway, gradually working to the thirty degree nose down dive.

Normally I would not advise such an exercise, however with a competant instructor to prevent you hitting the runway this will be safe.

Let me know how accurately you could judge flare height by looking ahead at the end of the runway before you commence the flare.

Be careful. Be very, very, very careful and most important your safety pilot instructor "MUST" understand how to judge height or you will hit the runway....

For Gods sake do not try this all by yourself,....

Cat Driver: