PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Visa Requirements for Flying and Training in the U.S.A.
Old 29th Jan 2003, 15:23
Charlie Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi VORTIME,

If the training you are going to be undertaking will lead towards a licence, be it an FAA or other such as JAA, then my belief is that you will most definately require a Visa.

In order to obtain, say an M-1 visa you will require a flight school who are approved to send out I20M forms, these forms are required to apply to the US Embassy for your visa, without one the US Embassy will not issue an M-1 visa.

IIRC a BFR doesn't count as training towards a licence as you already have the licence, you are just revalidating it.

By the way my Interview experience at the US Embassy in London yesterday:

1) Stood in a long queue for 1 1/2 hours in front of the temporary fence that surrounds the the Embassy. It was very very cold and the wind was gusting (nearly knocking over the security guards tent at one point). I am so glad it didn't rain until I got inside (forgot my umbrella) and that I took my hat and gloves with me.

2) Eventually got inside, went through the xray, metal detector thingy, then lined up in the interview room for another 1/2 an hour. I was so glad the heating was on as I had to thaw out!

3) Handed my forms and passport to the lady behind the counter and was issued a ticket number (aka Tesco Cheese Counter).

4) Waited for half an hour and then my number was called. Now for the interview, which I can remember the dialog (near enough):

Embassy: "Hi Richard, where did you hear about Naples Air Center?"
Me: "I was recommended NAC by a friend who completed his Instrument Rating there last year."
Embassy: "So how long do you plan on going over for?"
Me: "Four weeks, flying out ont he 26th of April and departing on the 24th May."
Embassy: "I think that covers it, your visa application has been successful, I'll send you the visa and passport back to you in the special delivery envelope within a couple of days."
Me: "Thank you".

Took a minute (if that!). So 2 1/2 hours with a minute interview. I was longer at the security xray thingy!!!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.