PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Females only!
Thread: Females only!
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2012, 15:50
flyingfemme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never been made to feel anything less than welcome in any part of aviation.

My background is engineering and computer programming so I'm well used to male dominated environments and don't mind a bit of banter. Mostly I run the business/financial side of an aviation business but I'm licenced to fly everything on the fleet (even if I don't do it as much as I'd like) and find it helps to understand the basics.

Pilots and aircraft owners are always pleased when anyone (at all) shows an interest in their hobby/job/beloved toy and I've been offered some great flights in lovely aircraft all over the world.

I've met female pilots and female engineers but can't think of any female avionics technicians........I'm sure there are some out there. Female aircraft dealers, traffic controllers, line staff.......

I don't think there's any malice in the low numbers of females in aviation; it's just that most women never consider it an option. The more we introduce ladies to aircraft the more of them come to work with us.