PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Females only!
Thread: Females only!
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2012, 15:21
localflighteast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’ve been debating whether to reply to this thread or not, I’mnever really sure how to respond. I have a background inengineering/physics and yes it was very male dominated when I started off butapart from one ******** professor I don’t ever recall gender being an issue.

Same with flying, I happen to have a male instructor, myhusband happened to have a female one. I’ve never really noticed that mybreasts* or lack of Y chromosome ever being an issue, for me or the people atthe flying school.

Questions like this make me a little bit sad. I’d kind ofassumed that things have moved on to the point where such questions are noteven relevant any more. Do pilots really judge someone by gender any more? Youneed a certain degree of intelligence to be involved in the aviation industryas a pilot or engineer etc. Usually** that precludes most irrational prejudices,in fact I’d go as far as to say this is one of the few industries where it is blatantlyobvious if you are any good or not. I suspect that is the real yardstick bywhich people are judged regardless of gender. Or am I just wildly naïve andoptimistic ?

* I did once land so hard I bounced my wire out my bra andnear stabbed myself in the eye!

** Usual caveats apply!