PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 12th Dec 2012, 13:45
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonjour AZR...

Given that the accident crash has been discussed at such length, it is predictable that complete agreement will be elusive. Impasse is not unfriendly, or need not be.

* "Between leaving the maintenance hangar and the fateful flight of July 25 the Concorde flew two round trip flights to New York and back.* In that time after each gear retraction the right hand shear bush began to slide down into the gap left by the missing spacer.* By the day of the accident the shear bush had moved a full seven inches out of alignment to the point where the two washers were almost touching.* The movement of the shear bush allowed the beam and wheels to wobble up to three degrees in any direction."

.......From "Heritage CONCORDE"

So therefore.....

The accident takeoff was the fifth since return to service. At Rotate speeds approaching 300 miles per hour, the stresses are formidable, so.....

It is my belief the problematic landing gear issue was at the very least contributory, definitely not "irrelevant".

re the "Transverse Cut". I would be looking for evidence of Zinc Chromate from the strip's painted (primered) surface, and remnants of Red Applicating mastic.

The site of deposition? The "cut" area of the tyre tread separating the two recovered oval pieces of tire tread surface. Evidence of elastomer (tyre material) was identified on the Titanium strip itself, there is no reason that the tyre remnants would be free of applied materials from the metal shard.

I am sure it is in the report, and my cursory review missed it. For me, evidence of Red Mastic and paint primer on the tyre pieces would be absolutely conclusive of rupture due to Continental's shoddy shop work on the DC-10.

merci beaucoup

Last edited by Lyman; 12th Dec 2012 at 16:02.