PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2012, 07:58
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't we all getting carried away with our Tom Clancy or Andy McNab theories? No doubt in theory there are numerous ways of successfully incapacitating the airfield and the few aircraft that are located on the island but once captured it has to be held.

If we are talking successful operations then my thoughts are the Israelis holders of the Gold medal with their excellent, well executed raid on Entebbe. That operation has never been equalled, it has set the bar for what is possible. I would also put forward our Sierra Leone operation that was another well planned, well executed raid but and it is a huge

BUT.....

We never occupied and KEPT possession of those locations and to highlight how difficult that can be I would put forward any US led conflict in recent times. How many of these conflicts where we have removed a so called enemy and our forces have taken up residence have been successful? Would Argentina ever win the hearts and minds of the islanders? Could they afford to keep a large military presence on those islands?

Would Great Britain impose a blockade and sink without warning ANY ships that entered a defined 'No Go' area? Taking the islands would be relatively easy, keeping them would probably be a HUGE drain on the military resources which Argentina might not have and can you imagine the ramifications of another failed attempt at taking those islands.

Just me thinking aloud