PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Females only!
Thread: Females only!
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2012, 23:19
taybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In addition to the bwpa, I'd recommend speaking to the Royal Aeronautical Society. They recently ran an entire conference about excellence in all fields of aviation, almost exclusively attended by women.

Personally, I've always worked in male dominated environments and have never experienced a problem. I work hard and play hard, as simple as that. I've been lucky enough to do some pretty cool, pretty privileged flying in very male dominated arenas. But I don't think there should be "more women", just that those who really want to fly should be encouraged to get over any of their own preconceived ideas that they couldn't or shouldn't.

Fact is that a lot of women aren't interested, and genetically tend to be less strong in the skills that are required as a pilot. That tendency doesn't mean that everyone is that way inclined, in the same way as mathematics and computer science are male dominated as a result of the same tendencies. The world's first computer programmer was a woman and there are plenty of very fine female mathematicians, just not as many as men.

As for other female pilots, I respect them in the same way as I respect all pilots, on merit alone. If they've worked hard and know what they're doing, and fly with a professional attitude and true knowledge, that's great. If they make silly excuses for bad decisions / actions, or shirk responsibilities such as cleaning the aeroplane, refuelling or even getting them in and out of the hangar, then they gain less respect. But the same applies for men as for women.

I have several friends who are women pilots who I have the greatest admiration for. I also have several male pilot friends for whom I have similarly great respect and admiration. I consider myself lucky to be in this position. My best mate since high school is an engineer. I also know several pilots, mostly male, for whom I have much less respect. This is more often on the basis of testosterone fuelled decision making, which explains the more male representation of this group. Plus it should also be borne in mind that for every exceptional pilot, there are dozens of merely mediocre pilots. This is the case particularly in light aviation but even in commercial aviation there are very few truly awesome pilots. I don't consider myself to be one of them, although I always strive to be the very best that I can be.

I also have some light aircraft engineering experience and perform air/ground duties as well as Airfield Fire Service duties so I am aware that I'm probably not the most usual candidate. I have the same experience and feelings about colleagues in these fields as I do with pilots.

The main difference I find as a woman is that people tend to remember you more, simply because in a room full of men you're bound to stand out. This can work as both a positive and a negative.

Hope this helps.