PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Asian Expansion
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2012, 21:48
denabol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Sandilands is right to look at the bigger pitcha and what it means in terms of the Qantas Emirates thing. I didn't realise Qantas was going to use Emirates flights as part of its 'development' of Asia services. Fark me.

The one question that Qantas probably doesn’t want asked about its proposed Emirates partnership is whether it actually means it gets more passengers for its own international services?
Because the answer is ‘No.’
It is also a question that leaps off the screen on the AFR this morning about how Qantas CEO Alan Joyce has a plan B in Asia, once the fine print is absorbed.
There is nothing in the proposed Qantas-Emirates partnership which would induce the rapidly growing loyal cadre of customers for Emirates flights to swop to Qantas flights.
This is because Qantas is in effect transferring to Emirates the risks and rewards of serving the Western Australia, South Australia and Queensland markets to all of Europe, and via its Dubai hub, those dozens of ‘funny places’ all over central Asia and a large part of Africa that Qantas couldn’t even locate on an Atlas before it discovered that the world was rapidly changing, and creating vast new markets which would also be relevant to Australian business and Australian tourism.
Full article here:

Qantas Asia ambitions raise difficult strategic questions | Plane Talking