PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Army Aviation Corps
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2012, 20:25
Bushranger 71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was surge capacity (mentioned by MTOW) that enabled the RAAF from mid-1962 to begin forming a helo force, build a comprehensive structure within Australia for helo training, maintenance, Army support and SAR. Then within about 2 years, provide Army support on the Malay/Thai border and about another 2 years hence, redeploy from Malaysia to Vietnam.

From end of WW2 to maybe 1990, it was commonplace for Air Force aircrew to serve in multiple roles. I did transport, fighters, helos and many of the junior pilots that first went on to choppers in the Vietnam War era later moved on to high speed stuff, maritime, transport, etcetera. That of course gave them much broader career paths and allowed the Service greater flexibility in use of aircrew resources. Alas, that does not seem to happen so much these days.

If I was CAF/CDF, I would advocate Army refocusing on its core functions and disbandment of Army Aviation. Transfer Kiowa, remaining Iroquois in storage, Blackhawk, Chinook to the RAAF and Tiger, MRH-90 to the Navy. Optimise Kiowa, Iroquois, Blackhawk via ongoing manufacturer enhancement programs. Offer Army Aviation personnel the option of transfer to Air Force or Navy, but shed Army Aviation Officers from Lieutenant Colonel upwards. There would of course be some further training needed for some aircrew because of present differences in flight training arrangements and depending on roles envisaged for their employment; but they would have broader scope for career progression, especially in the Air Force.

Regarding Tiger and MRH-90. Navy lobbied hard for 2 bloody big aircraft carriers ostensibly to deploy expeditionary forces, but that is not going to be affordable in the opinion of General Peter Leahy (and me). Better to lump all of the least usable stuff into the one area and, if necessary, put much of it into storage. Let Navy do the basic helo training utilising existing resources, insofar as is now practicable.

Mission impossible? NO. It just requires people to think outside the square, objectively analyse a worsening scenario and come up with the most cost-effective options to remediate military preparedness.

Last edited by Bushranger 71; 11th Dec 2012 at 20:39. Reason: Clarification