PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerodynamics/Engineering Questions
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2012, 16:26
HeliStudent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerodynamics/Engineering Questions

Hey I'm a newbie, interested in helicopters, but my questions are mainly aerodynamics and engineering related.

I would be so grateful if there is anyone who would be interested in responding.

My first question is to do with how a helicopter's weight and or load is carried (non-dynamically).

In other words, if you are lifting a helicopter (take a Bell 206 for example) off the ground by its rotorhead (I understand there are straps used for this) how is the weight of the helicopter transmitted?

My understanding is:

- All of the helicopter's weight can be suspended beneath the rotorhub, meaning that the rotorhub must be of sufficient strength to carry the full weight of the helicopter which in the case of a fully loaded Long Ranger could be around 1800kgs?

- Everything connected to the rotorhub must also be able to carry this weight including the main rotor driveshaft?

- The main rotortransmission must also be capable of carrying the entire aircraft weight?

And this is the bit where I get stuck - the main transmission is bolted onto the roof of the helicopter, but what happens after that?

In the case of the 206 there seems to be a honeycomb layer which surrounds the cabin, are the main transmission mounts just bolted onto a mounting point on the roof or is there a frame within the honeycomb (such as a steel frame within the helicopter's fuselage) to which it is connected?

If there isn't a steel frame surrounding the main cabin to which the transmission mountings are attached, how come the transmissions mounts don't just tear away from the cabin roof (under extreme circumstances).

I'm sorry because I realise such a question must sound very stupid.

I am sorry.