PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA Chess Game
Thread: CASA Chess Game
View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 04:49
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Sunny, I can't call that one; but I can and do read publicly available documents.
We have good weather, a shortage of serious vertical dirt, skilled engineers and a competent pilot body, the record should be the worlds best. From memory, 1 of the esteemed members here has quoted the 'real' safety stats on this forum several times and they seem to speak for themselves.
Folks,
It is sobering to take a really close look, using ICAO standard definitions of accidents and incidents, Australia (in standard terms, not self serving re-definitions of categories) has a distinctly ordinary record.

All the necessary documents are available, but if you are Australian, they are not visible if you are wearing your rose coloured glasses.

In all categories, the US produces far and away the best results, and given the sheer volume of aviation in the US, nobody in their right mind would argue that the statistics are not valid (but I have heard, actually listened in amazement as sometime CASA executives dispute the US record, nonetheless).

On the other hand, given that aviation in Australia is relatively small, compared to US, or even the EU area, a valid argument can be made that the fact that we have not a large jet hull loss is not statistically significant, ie; dumb luck.

We have certainly had enough bloody close goes, starting with the TAA B727 that bounced off the cover of the sewer line, well short of the RW 07 threshold at (then) ASSY.

As to CASA competence, the results of the two ICAO audits, public information, and the two most recent FAA audits (not public, but the general thrust of the results, and why, are well enough known) speak for themselves.

Tootle pip!!