PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Army Aviation Corps
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2012, 23:29
MTOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That should be pretty easy to sort out, no?
You missed the "/sarc" or funny icon following that mine-laden comment. If it ever was to happen, it'll be the bunfight of all time.

I have heard that the Army (or at least someone in the Army) did suggest handing the helicopters back to the RAAF during the investigation into the Townsville Blackhawk accident. Perhaps unfortunately, (although I'm sure they'd be many who'd stridently disagree with that sentiment), the RAAF demurred. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Bushranger 71 has made the point in earlier discussions here on this same point that one of the big disadvantages to the splitting of the three air arms is the lack of surge capacity should one part of the air force (note the lack of capital letters) require crews at short notice. Even disregarding the (to me) blatantly obvious inefficiencies and costs that three separate air arms incur, that point alone makes a single air service the more desirable option.

A bit like nuke submarines rather than diesels for the RAN, (another no-brainer, in my opinion), I don't think it'll ever happen though. Not without some politician taking over the Defence portfolio who has balls and foresight in another league to that displayed by the last couple of men who've occupied that position.