PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Cheese ASA Style
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2012, 21:10
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Robovic is about right - CEO's have no more than a year to make their mark on a business or they are finished.

What worries me is that Stalb sounds like a rule following bureaucrat - not a leader, if what "Gentle flyer" reports is correct.

"Transform the Business"/ "business transformation", or "transforming" anything at all are plain and simple wank words that are giant waving glowing red flags to professionals that the manager has no idea what they are talking about and has been sold a load of coblers.

The fundamentals of a business are the fundamentals of the busines and they cannot and will not be transformed no matter how many high priced consultants tell you otherwise and I have sat on both sides of the table with that caper, so lets hope Stalb has been misreported.

Facts are stubborn things and will not transform, and I think I understand that ATC requires sufficient trained bums on seats to do the job and all else is unimportant bull****.

The second very large warning sign is the suggestion (if true) that some piece of software (metron?) is going to be relied on to do the transforming and that once this system is working all problems will magically be transformed away. That never, ever happens.

This idea - that once our software is delivered all will be well, is a crutch I've seen managers use time and again and it never ends well. Managers are either too scared to confront, or don't understand the real problem, so a little wishful thinking and the ever present software salesman convinces the manager that a computer system will solve all their problems without personal pain - and they never deliver.

Of course the manager finally leaves, blaming the software and staff for having failed them.

The issue that needs to be confronted, if Pprune posts are anything to go by, is that the economic concept of ATC/AsA as a "profit centre" that must generate a "dividend" to government is deeply and fatally flawed.

Until that mindset is removed then the situation and performance will get progressively worse, and that will continue until sufficient people have paid with their lives to convince Government that this experiment has failed and must be terminated.

Last edited by Sunfish; 10th Dec 2012 at 21:14.