PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS apathy
Thread: NAS apathy
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2003, 03:40
Four Seven Eleven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid-air collision in the USA (Denver)

A thread already exists on the private flying forum for this accident. This accident highlights the possibility of mid-air collisions, even in the best of systems. We need to be constantly vigilant that any new systems adopted in Australia bring with them inherent risks as well as advantages.

Interestingly, on the US statistics of 16 mid-air collisions per year and corrected for Australia's population (i.e. not using aviation stats as I don't have the comparative data) , we should expect approximately 1 of these per year. (The statisticians out the can probably shoot holes in this analysis)

Denver Channel article on mid-air

NTSB investigation update

Note for those of impetuous nature: I am NOT suggesting that NAS will or will not cause mid-air collisions of this nature. It may be argued that the service being provided to these two aircraft was in excess of that which may be provided to VFR aircraft in Australia today. I raise the issue merely because we are adopting the US/'North American"/hybrid system, which may include aspects similar to those which prevailed here, and which may raise safety concerns.

As there is official reluctance to actually carry out any safety studies or assessment of the new system, this may be the only way we can evaluate the safety of NAS.

I fully expect not a hint of any comment or answers from RHS, or any of the NAS hangers-on. Such is the state of aviation reform in Australia today.