PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is the "Heavy" Piston Twin dead
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2012, 06:00
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
lilflyboy, pretty much the operation I had in mind there, thats how I always figured they'd be best run. Too bad I won't be heading over afterall, managed to find a job elsewhere, little less flying but guaranteed before I came over and in a slightly nicer location!

Tinstaafl, in Aus and NZ at least the Caravan is now accepted as a S/E IFR Aircraft, you have to run it according to certain rules that are a little more stringent than your usual Twin Engine IFR but thats more about getting procedures/systems and SOPs in place at the beginning. Also would it not be practical and wise in the case of crew to start including an FO on the caravans who are then able to do the loading and unloading of the pax at destinations away from where ground facilities are available? You gain the added benefit of extra safety which covers a range of insurance and contract requirements and having a crew member in training who is ready to take over as captain when the fleet expands or other members move on could be considered a prudent investment.

Can anyone tell me if the 58 blades on the Cheyenne mentioned by nomorecatering is one engine or both of the engines? and out of curiosity does anyone know the typical life span of them?