PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330/A340 EAD (AoA PROBES)
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2012, 05:45
Microburst2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what the FCOM says, but the airplane in direct law is NOT turned into a conventional airplane. Because conventional airplanes must have stick forces that provide pilots with aerodynamic feedback. Without that, you are in the MIrcrosoft FS, which is not conventional at all.

Nearly every sim I fly direct law, for a while. The difficulty and danger of Direct Law is more apparent in the GO AROUND. Typically we find it in final approach, after L/G DOWN. The airplane is almost in trim and it takes only minor inputs and trim settings to have the job done. However, all that changes in case of go around. Then, it is difficult to switch my mind to direct law, so I find myself releasing the sidestick (springloaded to neutral) after inputs, which equates to make brisk inputs back and forth, like jerks. If more angle the input had, the worse. Imagine a conventional 767 where there is no feedback from the yoke, but it will return to neutral if you release it.

With practice you can fly direct law quite decently, but you have to actively think so that your instinct and habit doesn't put the airplane at risk. And, as I say, you could not certify an airplane with a direct law system without artificial feeling in the stick.

That FCOM reference repeats a lot that you fly with care, that you are not protected, that controls are powerful, that you use small inputs... That sounds like "hey be careful" to me, and therefore there is danger.

Dangerous means that you can get in trouble easily and you have to be careful to stay out of trouble. It doesn't mean you have to panic and pray. I will never revert to direct law on purpose as a reversion to conventional, because it is not a reversion to conventional, in the first place. Normal law is much more conventional than direct law, in my opinion.

The bulletin procedure is just what the situation needs. You get rid of the rogue sensor inputs and keep flying almost normally (alternate law is very much like normal law, except for some protections).