PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde crash: Continental Airlines cleared by France court
Old 9th Dec 2012, 21:35
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ExSp33db1rd
I can't comment on the new/retread issue, I just don't know (...)
ExSp33db1rd, data about the wheels & tyres of F-BTSC are publicly available in the final report §1.6.2.5:
The wheels were manufactured by Dunlop, and the tyres used by Air France were manufactured by Goodyear in the United States. No retread tyres have been used since 1996.
Originally Posted by dalek
The strip of metal probably played no part in the accident. It is more likely that the damage was caused by the undercarriage disintegration??
How do you explain the clean transverse cut about 32 centimetres long in the tyre, then? (*)
How do you explain that black elastomer (whoose spectral analysis showed similar to Concorde's tyre rubber) was found in the rivets holes of the strip? (**)

(*) Final report, §1.12.1.2 (with photo):
the parts [pieces of tyre] found at Slab 152 level (a piece measuring 100 x 33 cm and weighing about 4.5 kg) and that found at Slab 180 level fitted together. Visual inspection revealed a transverse cut about 32 centimetres long.
(**) Final report, §1.16.6.4:
Black marks were noted on the outer side of the strip and black elastomer debris was found jammed in one of the rivets. The spectra of these marks and deposits are similar to the Concorde tyre.
Originally Posted by jcjeant
Justice can help aviation safety
Perhaps I'm still not interested.

May I also remind you that the BEA was in charge of the technical, not the AAIB? Hence, even with full access, the AAIB would not have conducted its own analysis to "cross-check" everything the BEA would have said. You may show little confidence about the BEA, but AAIB doesn't seem to share the extend of your concern about that. That's enough for me, I must say

Last edited by AlphaZuluRomeo; 9th Dec 2012 at 22:28.