PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ staff left in lurch, Aussie taxpayer to pay
Old 29th Jan 2003, 00:51
spleener

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avion,
Yes, better AUD salary given the slide in the AUD -but please consider the cost of living. Housing allowance, yes just enough to rent less than 500 square feet if you're willing to share it with 2 others minimum. An allowance less than a third of the [industry standard] CX rate. But my comments regarding the 2nd class treatment do not stem from the salary debate, after all that was disclosed at sign up!
Rather I refer to the way they were managed and treated: areas of concern were, but not limited to:
Industrial protection, no rostering schedule of flight time limits, a refusal of the company to reply to any questions relating to schedule assignment or maximum duty or minimum rest periods. Although such arrangements are an AOC requirement.
A refusal by the company to arrange sponsorship of Japanese and Taiwanese crews for Hong Kong working Visa. This meant such crews were illegal workers in HKG and had to do tourist "Visa runs" to avoid prosecution by the HKG government.
Inability to have any DIRECT union support, not really the unions fault though.
Many instances of substandard treatment. Here's one example that should convey the working environment: Crew transport and accommodation. The flights were all pretty long and transport was always arranged, except at Sydney where non-Australian crews had to wait outdoors to catch the infrequent Hotel Shuttle to the airport hotel. Because of the "hot bed" system, rooms were normally unavailable for a few hours. Allowances were usually paid a day or so late, or there may have been no reservation because AN hadn't managed to think 12 hours ahead. Compare these arrangements to Melbourne with Limo service to a downtown hotel. What was the difference? How long did the HKG Airport Hotel for Australian crews last before it was changed back to a downtown hotel?
Please note: NO complaints directed against the great Aussie crews here, I are one!