PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair, too low on..
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2012, 11:45
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Agree about the BUD thing, doesn't appear to be any pressing need to land at a closed airport without a tower."

Is BUD not a base? Was this a BUD a/c with a BUD crew? Could this explain the gethomeitis? If the a/c was then grounded by the closed airport I'm sure RYR have enough spare machinery around the network to sort it out. After all, if there were return pax they would have to bussed to Bratislava anyway.

It reminds me of an incident with me, after closure curfew. It was 20mins after the airport closed, and usually the tower and services were shutdown. This night, for some reason, ATC was there. They cleared me to land and confirmed fire cover was there. Ops was open. I had fuel to hold for a while so I asked OPs if the airfield was open. They replied that it was officially closed. I said ATC would let me land, but please call mission control for their permission. We didn't want to start a war with the locals. End result is we diverted. I wonder if in this case they had the time to get an answer from their mission control. We're always told Ops has the big picture. Surely, it's not a bad idea to pass the buck sometimes.