PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any future for newbies?
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2012, 09:59
wangus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am always somewhat baffled by the inputs of employed pilots, looking down their noses at us "Frozen ATPL" holders. Standard magnanimous answer: "Instruct, become a dispatcher, volunteer at local club, bush fly....."

Who wants a 270 hour instructor flying for them? I have driven to numerous clubs, introduced myself, had frank conversations, and been politely told there are no jobs, light singles are sitting around gathering dust as very very few people starting PPL at private clubs in UK. Dispatch? Did that for 6 years, before redundancy. My "contacts" are mainly unemployed themselves, or reading consultation letters about potential redundancy. Volunteer???? Don't make me laugh. Again, have met face to face with people to be told there is a ENDLESS queue of volunteers hoping to remain current on something...... Africa??? 2 friend spent 6 months out there, knocking on doors, sleeping in tents, jumping through hoops, and no positions in the end.

Any future? Hmmmm. 57 months since I qualified. I certainly doubt it. My GP tells me half his day is taking up speaking to people from all sectors whose careers have nosedived. In other words the whole of Europe is experiencing austerity, and only the privileged few go on regular holidays. Airlines are on their knees. Very hard to think the future is promising........